Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Taking things for granted

I've learned many hard lessons about taking things for granted so I don't plan to do that anymore, as much as I can help it.  Some things, some people, are in your life for years and years, and you become used to them to assume that they'll be there all the time.

I don't even want to take my Ayi for granted.

Ayi: Are you really leaving?
Me: Yes... I'm sorry but this time it's for real.
Ayi: Ah....
Me: How old is your son now?
Ayi: 16.
Me: Wow... when I met you, he was what, 9?
Ayi: He was 6 or 7!
Me: ....! Really?
Ayi: Yes.... I've been with you for 10 years, Miss.

Oh, I'll miss her. I wonder things like -- how is her life going to be? Will she find a new family to work for that will treat her well?  I've thought about hiring different Ayi's before, because sometimes my Ayi will get a little lazy.  There was a period of time where she didn't come and didn't want to tell me, because she was afraid I'd be mad.  And there was a few months where she was out of it and not doing her job very well.

But I've always given her chances.  She's a good person.  I know other Ayi's may clean better or be more detailed oriented, but she was always good to me.  She really cared for me and looked after me.  She was always helpful when I was sick.  I'm glad I never doubted her and hired someone else.   I'm going to miss her a lot.  Mostly because we are friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment