Monday, May 11, 2009

I hate translating. H8TE.

I really really dislike translating. For anything. Unless I'm translating for Jay Chou, or BoA, or Jet Li... I really dislike translating anything. I think the reason is because I've been translating since I was a kid, and I hate it.

When your parents speak to you in Mandarin, and then your friends don't understand, you translate. When your friends speak to you in English, or you're at the department store somewhere and you mom doesn't understand, you translate. Translating for me means I'm stuck in between 2 cultures and I have to find the right words to make both sides understand. Usually I have to listen to both sides speaking and I catch all their thoughts in my brain. And then I'm too lazy to open my mouth to spit it out.

Okay so I may have exaggerated it. I don't HATE translating. Verbally. But I do really really dislike translating from one powerpoint presentation to another. First of all, I hate selling. I'm not a salesperson. I'm too direct, I'm too blunt, I speak what's on my mind and if you don't want to buy it I couldn't care less. So when I have to translate pretty language from English to Mandarin, it makes me so angry!! I don't even know how to WRITE pretty language in Chinese. You already see how they translate menus. "Phoenix Claws." for 风抓. ITS FRIGGIN CHICKEN FEET!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or, something like "Twice minced flitting lotus leave on pearl dewed cloud drops romantic princess jade emperor golden chrysanthemums expensive title buy me now BBQ" when it's like a drumstick.

Anyway. My point is, I hate flowery language and selling to people in mandarin on powerpoint presentations require exactly that. I HATE WRITING SHIT LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!1

*SEETHE*

1 comment: